Is there such a thing as a natural born leader? In true crisis situations often the best leaders are the ones that rise to the occasion because they know exactly what needs to be done and they just get on with it. They are not trying to score points or make sure that everyone knows they’re the ones in charge. They are just simply looking at the problem and acting fast to fix it.
There are 5 skills that all Great Leaders have learned to develop:
1. Ability to Make Good Decisions – Great Leaders will listen to views and input from others, weigh up the information and make up their own minds what to do. They stand by their decisions.
2. Know when to say “NO” – There are times when “no” will not be the most popular choice. Great leaders know this instinctively and will address peoples concerns when they deliver the bitter pill. And “no” does mean “no!”
3. Ability to combine Compassion and Empathy with Strength – Great leaders got that way because they understand people and can relate well to their worries, fears and concerns. They also know that people want, desire and aspire to believe in a strong leader who will make the tough decisions, give the right advice and tell them honestly what they need to do to improve.
4. A Sense of Humor – It’s one of the best attributes to posses as a leader. The ability to bring humor to dire situations. Sometimes laughter is the best stress and tension reliever when taking on serious and difficult challenges. Every aspiring leader should make an effort to develop their sense of humor or at least have a serious appreciation of the healing power of laughter.
5. The Ability to Visualize a Better Future – This is a big one especially after losses, failures or massive set backs. During these moments teams often get so deflated that they can’t see any light ahead. Great leaders are all about connecting to this myopic view of the group and bursting it upon detection. They will blast out of the gates so fast with a new view which is much better, more motivating and truly inspiring for everyone on the team to stop their downward spiral and propel them towards a new beginning.
I truly believe that great leaders are not born to lead. They just got that way because they either felt they had no choice or they gave themselves no choice. Either way the choice was theirs as with all of us. Are you ruling your own destiny?
Take Charge of your sales and your life,
Dominic Kotarski is The Founder of Sales Success Academy
PS. if you’re the first to solve the Billy Goat riddle, ie. What does this Billy Goat have to do with this Post? then you will win a FREE copy of my new book “The Making” From the USA to the Land Down Under- How to Achieve Sales Mastery in 88 Days – When it’s launched January 2014. Please leave your answers and comments below 🙂 Clearly I’m goading you on.