Some nice questions to ask yourself when you’re looking to transcend from your current day to day situation and move to another realm of day to day possibilities:
- Who do I want to serve?
- Who do I enjoy spending time with?
- What keeps me inspired and interested?
- Where do I want to spend my time during the day? (An office building in the city or in the suburbs, mostly in my car, on-site or various sites, a home office or home studio, an industrial area, on a farm, in the forest.)
- Who do I want to interrupt me? co-workers, customers, partners, board members, friends, family, nobody.
- How much time do I want to spend on each task?
- Do I want to know everything I’m doing or know the basics and be challenged to learn new things as I go?
- What people, places, things, and activities intrinsically motivate me?
- What people, places, things, and activities extrinsically motivate me?
These are just a few of the questions you should be able to give clear, concise answers to after a few years in the workforce. The answers could also change over time in relation to the type of work you’re pursuing and the changes you go through on your career journey.
By thoughtfully answering these questions and thinking about your responses you will be able to establish new goals and identify possible shifts you could make in your day to day activities in order to better align with your current values.
Never forget that it’s your life and your ultimate effectiveness will always be in direct proportion to your ability to Be Happy in your day to day work and life activities.