What do you do when your industry is declining? What do you do when you’re losing interest in your job or maybe even your career? When you’ve been so completely attached to something for not only your monthly pay-check but also your identity?
All is not lost and a bright new direction is always just over the horizon. It might take you some time to get there but get there you will. Oprah often says…
“Things don’t happen to you they happen for you”
This is her way of reminding us that we are the managing directors of our own life. We must take control of our mindset and attitude and fight hard not to play the victim card. It’s just way too easy to lay blame on something outside of ourselves and dwell on what’s happened outside of our control.
Go ahead and wallow on this for a day, a week or even a month depending upon your way of dealing with things but eventually you’ll want to get on with your next phase in life and here are a few tips I’ve used to help myself and my coaching clients through this same dilemma:
- Re-engage with the “Thrill of Learning” – Rekindle your inner-child, you know the one that used to love immersing themselves in new experiences and was thrilled to see something novel. Get your Synthesis head on – connect the dots of your life’s journey up til now and look at the new and very exciting path ahead.
|synonyms:||combination, union, amalgam, blend, mixture, compound, fusion, composite, alloy;|
- Listen with Intent – Begin to listen with the same intensity you had when you first started out in your career. That burning intensity of yearning to understand what’s being said, what it means and why it’s important.
- Sharpen Your Focus – Every blade eventually gets dull from overuse. Sharpen your mental focus on your new situation at hand. Really analyze your interests, passions, hobbies, skills and look for clues to creating your next iteration of you.
- Engage with your intellect, your emotions, and your deeper soulful self – Deep down you’ve known this day was coming for quite some time. You put off doing this soul searching and now the time has come to embrace all aspects of your mind, your heart and your spiritual self to come up with your True Life’s Purpose.
- Application – Muster the strength to start applying yourself on your findings and make a plan to pursue each viable idea that you’ve uncovered. Ask former colleagues, friends and family members to rate each of your ideas and help you flesh out some actionable items on each, maybe some are purely for research and others could be bootstrapped.
- Finding Joy in the Journey – Don’t pursue this with the intent of reaching your destination because no matter how hard you try the destination is always different than what was planned or expected. Do this as a process to find your next fun phase in life. The journey, the work, the process, the people you meet the things you will learn along the journey is the right way to approach this challenge.
In the end, we will all answer to ourselves and remember that very few people ever regret the things they did in life but the things they failed to do. There is no failure when you branch out to renew your vows to your true calling in life and you will always find and regain your Mojo when you do so!!